Sunday, March 13, 2011

My ♥ Belongs to….


Oh Glazer’s, how I love you. Your smooth lattes. Those beautiful mugs in the perfect shade of red. Baristas that know what they’re doing. Yay!

Today I just needed a nice cup of coffee, so I made the drive out to Moili’ili, near the University of Hawaii. The rising gas prices are the enemy of good coffee in my life, as there are no cool, independent cafés near my home. Six Starbucks locations within easy driving distance, yes, but that’s not exactly the experience I’m looking for.


I stick to ordering lattes here because I love to be surprised by the designs poured across the surface of my drinks. This one is supposedly influenced by Klimt’s The Kiss.


Oh, and you need to order the grande size. Tall just doesn’t have as much surface room to play with. And you don't get the cool red mug.


Here’s a shot of today’s latte, which was made by a barista-in-training. I can see the beginning of a heart in there….


I’m sitting on a comfy chair, next to a guy in the other comfy chair. As he took his seat, he placed a plate with a couple of chocolate chip cookies and a large glass of ice water on the table next to him. I was charmed by that for some reason. Might have made a cool photo, but he'd probably think I was odd if I just started shooting him and his plate.

The only less-than-positive thing about this place is that it feels a bit unfriendly. No, not the baristas, who all seem to be cool. It’s just that virtually all the patrons here are either hidden behind a laptop screen or buried beneath a pile of textbooks. Sure, that’s to be expected, since this is a café for the university kids. But no one is talking. I came here once with my friend Shane and we felt pretty awkward even having a quiet conversation at our table. So yeah, negative points for that.


(By the way, I don't mean to infer that these people pictured were unfriendly. They actually came with study partners, which is a very friendly gesture indeed.)

Anyway, don’t dwell on that! Glazer’s is great! Just bring a book with you and you’ll fit in fine. See, even the walls are wishing you well. 



Glazer’s Coffee
2700 South King Street, Honolulu, HI 96826
(808) 391-6548 glazerscoffee.com

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I'd love to feature some of these on coffee|served daily. I especially love the cup where you don't show the whole cup...and the Betty Boop cup...and the Klimt Kiss cup...oh and the first one. Well, all of them. I would link back to your blog under the photos, and on the contributors page. Send me a note if you're interested. Love the pix and the stories. Kim

    ReplyDelete